Cell phone built in GPS - not (Was: Open Source vs. Closed Source)

Bill Freeman f at ke1g.mv.com
Tue Jan 24 09:53:01 EST 2006

Fred writes:

 > And while we are on the subject -- some PDA "smart phones" come
 > equipped with their own GPS chip, but it seems this is never made
 > use of by mapping software, forcing one to buy a separate GPS
 > device anyway. Is there a way to access the built-in GPS chip for
 > application use? Or are the manufactures deliberately closing off
 > or restricting access to it?

	Just one data point from a conversation with a Verizon tech:
Some of what gets called GPS isn't.  This is all because of the E-911
stuff where the cell providers must pass along you location.  Most
carriers don't actually use GPS for this, but do clever
"triangulation" (not really that either) from multiple cell towers.
It seems that the phone has to do a couple of extra tricks for this to
work well, so some older phones don't have the capability.  These
carriers (at least Verizon the last time that I replaced a phone)
calls this feature "GPS" in their marketing literature, rather than
come up with a new name that they'd have to explain to the average
customer.

							Bill