Postfix/Cyrus/etc help

Neil Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Wed Jan 25 11:19:00 EST 2006

> I know Courier supports public folders, though I haven't used it much
> yet. What are the issues with using Courier for public folders that
> makes Cyrus the only option?

Courier has public folders, sorta, but not in the standard usage that IMAP
users expect.  It won't store message status flags like read, replied,
forwarded, etc on an individual basis.  Also, rather than ACLs to connect
users to folders with particular permissions, the users need to be configured
with the appropriate folder/file permissions on the Maildirs that are holding
those public folders.

So yes, courier has a public folder implementation, but it's not a very good
one.  Ultimately, the thing that makes Courier cool in my eyes (Maildir) is a
very limiting factor when it comes to public folders.
-Neil