Cell phone built in GPS - not (Was: Open Source vs. Closed Source)

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Wed Jan 25 13:08:00 EST 2006

>   FWIW, this issue was discussed briefly last night at the
> after-after-meeting.  The opinion of those around me was that my
> el-cheapo Nextel phone -- a Motorola iDEN i530 -- does have real GPS.
> It has a menu option named "GPS" (which we know means nothing), but it
> does give lat and long in degrees, estimated accuracy in feet, and
> "number of satelites used".  OTOH, I have to let the phone sit
> unmoving for a few minutes to get a fix.

Even when using the GPS from the sats, it does use the "triangulation"
method to make it more accurate.

Even most car gps devices have electronic gyroscopes and compasses to
help out when you lose signal from time to time.

Ben, since you have a GPS enabled nextel you should give
http://mologogo.com/ a try.