Man, they'll try anything to hack your system...

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 13:45:01 EST 2006

On 1/27/06, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> Now that you mention it, I've seen few in the past few days with no MX
> records for the sending domain, even with a PTR record for the sending
> host.  Not the same, but similarly strange and recent.

  Well, the RFCs say that if there is no MX record for a domain, but
there is an A record, treat the A record as if one had specified it as
an MX host.  A lot of people aren't aware of that when they configure
their www.foo.com domains and see mail attempts coming to their web
server.

> All that said, somebody might have just messed up their BIND views.

  Or just be dumb.  I can see people adding their private address
space servers and wondering why they don't get any mail.  :-)

-- Ben