Man, they'll try anything to hack your system...

Neil Joseph Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Mon Jan 30 12:45:01 EST 2006

On Monday 30 January 2006 11:52 am, Ben Scott wrote:
> On 1/29/06, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> > I consider postfix to be working properly in this case and the fedora
> > core installer to be the misbehaver here.
>
>   Yah, that's been a long-time standard Red Hat behavior.  I've always
> corrected the /etc/hosts file soon after install.

Debian does the same thing in my experience.  I've often thought that it is
pretty appropriate and that the FQDN hostname you enter during install is
properly put in the hosts file with your "real" IP as opposed to the
localhost one.

Personally, I think the right way to fix it is from the mail server
perspective.  I don't think they should pick the name they'll report
themselves as based on a localhost address, but based on the first
non-localhost address they bind to
-Neil