Custom Distro

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Mon Jan 30 21:55:01 EST 2006

Jon maddog Hall <maddog at li.org> writes:

> It seems to me that FAI serves a slightly different purpose than a
> "Custom Distro Maker",

There's really no difference in purposes here.  Making a "custom
distro" entails picking a list of sw packages and making sure they get
installed and properly configured based on hardware and site-specific
preferences.  Most "distributions" can't know the site-specific
preferences ahead of time, therefore, use an "installer" to query the
user installing the distro.

FAI allows a knowledgeable person to decide what the site-specific
preferences are and automate their configuration.  Now, with the
FAI-CD tool which allows you to place an FAI configuration on a CD and
install from there you can distribute your configurations to any
remote location which has a CD drive.

> although FAI could go a long way to simulating a "Custom Distro",
> given enough compatible packages in the pool.

Seen the numbers of packages in the various Debian distros lately? :)

--

Seeya,
Paul