Time (was: Character set wars (was: In defense of Google))

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 17:27:01 EST 2006

On 1/31/06, Tom Buskey <tom at buskey.name> wrote:
>> What will be interesting to see, and most of us will be around when it
>> happens, is the time the Unix clocks run to an end in 2038.
>
> Windows uses the same clock.

  Windows has like ten different clock types; that's one of them.
(See?  Windows *is* cross-platform.  Bugs from multiple platforms
affect Windows.)  I seem to recall the core kernel clock isn't
effected by this issue, but a lot of code based on various C libraries
is.

  Since the classic implementation of the C "time_t" is the same
32-bit signed integer, and C is about the most ported language ever
(with the possible exception of BASIC), it's very common to find
systems using this mechanism, even if they've got nothing to do with
Unix.  Or so I'm told.

-- Ben