Just how static is that IP address?

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Mon Jul 3 16:35:01 EDT 2006

TDS is offering their business customers (well, at least this one) a
static IP address at what appears to be a fair price. I know that a
static IP is set in the network stack, and there's no need to run a
DHCP client, since the IP address isn't going to change. This opens
up some opportunities that we more challenging with dynamic IP
addresses.

I understand some mail services reject email that claims to come from
an email server on a dynamic IP address on the theory that most of
these dynamic addresses are used by considers without the license
from the ISP to run said server on their machines; 99% are likely
Windows machines taken over by malware sending spam, while 1% are
home based businesses and hobbiests who haven't figured out how to
relay through their ISPs.

Here are my questions: how do the big email services distinguish
dynamic from static IPs? Is there a great big list somewhere listing
the 256^4-2 addresses? Is there a way I can determine if the address
I get is "really" static (if there is such a thing) or should I just
try to set up a email server and see if I can get through to
dad at aol.com?

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com