Gasp. Am I getting old and stupid?

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Fri Jul 7 07:58:01 EDT 2006

>> Gasp is considered 'obsolete'.  The bintuils-gasp is the only
>> remnant of it, for applications that require it.
>
> Ok, I'll ask the obvoius follow-up question -- obsoleted by what?
> What do use instead if we want to code Assembler with a F/LOSS
> tool-chain?

If gcc supports the processor you're targetting you can get a
sense of the assembler support available to you by dummying up
some test code in C and then seeing what gcc emits when asked
to stop translation after the assembler code generation phase.

Something like this:

   gcc -S myDummyProgram.c

...should result in the creation of myDummyProgram.s

You mentioned the "gnu assembler macro processor" but the only
part of the Gnu tool chain that I ever use for macro processing
is the "standard" preprocessor (whose man page says, "Modern
versions of the GNU assembler have macro facilities"  BTW...)

In olden days we used m4 for macro processing.  It ain't pretty
but, depending on your purposes, it can be very effective.