[OT] Redemption

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 23:56:00 EDT 2006

On 7/9/06, Jon maddog Hall <maddog at li.org> wrote:
> >> No, it was actually worse (or better) than that.  One moment it did not work
> >> at all, and the next moment it was working.....even without rebooting!
>
> dragonhawk at gmail.com said:
> > "Problems that go away by themselves come back by themselves." -- Common
> > net.wisdom
>
> Ben, I KNOW that ...

  And I know you know that.  It just seemed like an appropriate
comment at the time, and it's a good quote.  I like quotes.  :)

"A witty saying proves nothing." -- Voltaire

> Maybe I should throw it across the room....

  While that will probably give you problems, the probable problems
will probably be different ones... ;-)

  I suspect it's just typical USB/ATA bridge device flakyness.  They
all seem to be a bit persnickity, in my experience.  Indeed, Googling
for "TUSB6250 Boot Device" finds the following, which suggest your
problem has nothing to do with Linux:

http://www.lacie.com/support/faq/faq.htm?faqid=10285

http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/lit/getliterature.tsp?literatureNumber=slla126&fileType=pdf

  In particular, the TUSB6250 USB/ATA bridge chip your hardware
apparently uses will apparently expose a low-level interface (for
factory programming, etc.) as "TUSB6250 Boot Device".  That's an
interface to the bridge chip, not the hard drive attached to the chip.
 So once you managed to reset the bridge chip, all was well.  Until it
flakes out again, of course.

-- Ben