libg2c and g++4

Adam Helbling ahelblin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 10:14:01 EDT 2006

Hey everyone!

I am currently developing code and compiling using g++4. The program I
work on just recently made the switch. What I am finding is that
libg2c is not installed into /usr/lib/ . I have done a little research
and can't seem to find much except for a few people talking the same
problem under the latest stable release of Debian (to get around this
they use Testing builds). We use Red Hat Enterprise w/ kernel 2.6.9.
We have gotten around this problem by just creating our own soft link
to /usr/lib/libg2c.so.0. Has anyone else heard anything about this
problem?

When compiling without our little fix the linker is unable to resolve
/usr/lib/libg2c.so only with g++4. Using g++ 3.4.5 we do not have this
problem. I want to verify that either we did something wrong with our
installation, or that there is a bug somewhere in either the Red Hat
Distro, or g++4. Any hints or help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Adam Helbling