From a NY Times Bestseller

Michael Costolo michael.costolo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 14:58:01 EDT 2006

On 7/11/06, Christopher Chisholm <christopher.chisholm at syamsoftware.com> wrote:

> Fair enough!  All of that makes sense to me.  Do you think that because
> the processors are now Intel perhaps more hardware will become available
> and thus damage the positive points that you've mentioned?  Or do you
> think that they will continue to use very proprietary hardware overall
> to maintain the same benefits they've always had?

My thoughts are that Apple will remain very picky about what goes in
their machines, as per usual.  They went to Intel largely because IBM
couldn't give them a G5 processor that didn't have to be liquid
cooled, and Steve Jobs has been promising a G5 Powerbook for a few
years now.  Intel has doen a lot of work on processors for laptops,
and the switch made sense for where Apple wants to go in the future.
I don't suspect that much else will change about their approach.

> Also, do you feel
> like cross-platform programming languages/APIs/etc could ever do as good
> a job at providing developers with an easy to work with solution across
> hardware and operating systems?

I am not qualified even to have an opinion on that question.  But I
give it 50% odds that the answer is no.