Bluetooth [was: Re: From a NY Times Bestseller]

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Sun Jul 16 19:54:00 EDT 2006

On Jul 11, 2006, at 14:32, Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> Setting up the same thing on my Ubuntu machine about 2 months ago was
> easy. As was grabbing data from my Bluetooth GPS. As was grabbing
> photos
> from my cell phone.

Cool, good to know.  I was in the same boat myself.  I'm researching my
next laptop and it'll probably be a MacBook (really good value for the
parts) but it'll run Linux.  Whether that's Ubuntu or Mac OS X 10.5
remains to be seen (I'm 70/30 for Linux over NT for the 10.5 kernel at
this point) but it'll be some flavor of linux.  As linux 2.6 has gotten
more stable and OSX 10.4 less over the past couple years I've been
using my linux desktop more and more and the trendline is clear.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the Mermon processor before I do so.  64-bit,
40% faster or 30% cooler than the current parts; pin-compatible with
the current generation  (those asking earlier, the Macs don't use a P4
variant, they use the 'Core' line which is a descendent of the
Pentium-M, which was itself mostly a miniaturized P3).

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/