[OT] Re: Malware "best practices"

Randy Edwards redwards at golgotha.net
Thu Jul 27 14:58:01 EDT 2006

 > China is definitely the one to watch, because they are the ones with the
 > *real* power -- economic power over the US. The US may "talk big", but
 > will quickly roll over and whimper like a puppy whenever China seriously
 > threatens to flex its muscle.

   Who's "fault" is that?  The above seems to portray China as inherently evil
because they are not destroying their country with trade and budget deficits
and wars of aggression that they cannot afford to pay for.

   Just so you don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to live in China.  They
have an oppressive gov't which and are building their economy by
hyper-exploitation of the Chinese people.

   But to wave around threats that China might "flex its muscle" is ludicrous
for two reasons.  First, it paints Chinese thrift and economic common sense
as a negative.  But it also paints a picture of a warlike China, which is
directly contradicted by literally hundreds of years of history.  Sure, China
has issues over Taiwan, but those are legitimate concerns.  To portray China
as an imperial power with a mindset like the US is far from the truth.

 > And, of course, China's alliance with Russia and various other countries
 > that currently despise the US, well, let's say it makes for a rather
 > fetching state of affairs!

   I know of no such alliance.  And "despise the US"?  While massively
overstated, let's remember a few points of reality:

* It is not China or Russia which has a publicly stated goal of achieving
worldwide military supremacy and undermining even potential rivals -- that is
the US.

* It is not China or Russia who claims the "right" to launch sneak attacks
against any country on earth; that "Bush Doctrine" not only violates the UN
Charter, but int'l law dating back to the 1648 Treaty of Westphalia -- and
the country doing that is the US.

* It is not China or Russia who maintains over 700 overseas military bases and
calls this "defense" -- that is the US.

* It is not China or Russia who aggressively puts military bases on the border
of the US -- it's the opposite, it's the US putting military bases on the
borders of China and Russia.

* It's not China or Russia who arms Israeli aggression and who flies
diplomatic cover for Israeli war crimes -- that is the US.

* It is not China or Russia who is waging a war that violates the UN Charter
and who everyone from the UN Secretary General, to the Dali Lama, to the late
Pope has called "illegal" -- that too in the US, a nation led by de facto war
criminals.

   If there are people who do "despise the US", before jerking our knee in
mindless nationalism, perhaps we ought to seriously look at things from their
perspective.

 Regards,
 .
 Randy

--
"I came to America because of the great, great freedom which I heard existed
in this country. I made a mistake in selecting America as a land of freedom,