Which CPU are we waiting for to get VM hypervisors in hw?

Chris Linstid clinstid at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 20:39:01 EDT 2006

The regular Core Duo does have the first phase of VT (Virtualization
Technology), but it's nothing too impressive.  The next phase from
Intel of VT will be in their Core 2 Duo chips which have been
announced and I believe will be available in August.  I think it's
extremely likely we will see the mobile version (Conroe/Merom, I
believe) of the chip in new laptops very shortly after that.  As far
as a rundown on the phases of VT, I wish I could be of more help, but
I only saw an NDA Intel roadmap about 3-4 months ago and I don't
remember much of it.

I have a 2.16GHz MacBook Pro and it does virtualization quite well...
as long as you don't mind slow video.  At the moment, the only game
in town (at least on OS X) is Parallels Desktop, which does use the
VT support in the regular Core Duo, but I don't know specifically
what advantages that gives.

On the Linux side of things, VMware is available (and VMware Server
is now free!), but from what I've heard, VMware does not currently
take any advantage of VT support.  However, that doesn't really seem
to hurt it much.  VMware's product is much more polished and stable
than Parallels and I'm looking forward to seeing an OS X version of it.

	- Chris