Which CPU are we waiting for to get VM hypervisors in hw?

Fred puissante at lrc.puissante.com
Mon Jul 31 11:51:02 EDT 2006

On Sunday 30 July 2006 21:10, Dave Johnson uttered thusly:
> Ted Roche writes:
> > It's time to start shopping for a new development laptop. I'm a big
> > fan of big iron: the laptop is my primary workstation and I'd prefer
> > to lug around a 4 kg machine than lack for power. I'm tempted both by
> > the ThinkPad T60p and the MacBookPro. Both run Core Duo.  While I
> > know these are capable of running VMs, I'm hearing that a next
> > generation chip is going to have more capability in the chips to
> > provide more powerful VMs. The technical details are beyond me, but
> > my questions are simple enough: does anyone know what's the timeline
> > on these new chips, and will their delivery in laptops make all that
> > much perceivable difference or are the features more aimed at big
> > iron (8-way and up) machines.
>
> Merom will be out in 1-2 months.  Probably worth the wait.

Cool. I've been looking to rebuild my home workstation, and it would be cool
to be able to run Windows at nearly full speed without having to kill Linux.
And of course, Windows will itself run in a window. Poetic Justice, I say.

I'm going to make my new workstation a monster of a machine. Quad CPUs, 16GB
ram, 3 displays with the latest graphics cards, and hideous amounts of hard
drive storage.

Soon...

-Freedom Fred