Linux on old laptop in two stages

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Mon Jun 5 08:37:01 EDT 2006

"Ben Scott" <dragonhawk at gmail.com> writes:

> On 6/4/06, Tech Writer <TechWtr at handspun.com> wrote:
>> ... 150 MHz Pentium ... 40MB RAM ... Some of my son's friends
>> have decided to learn Java this summer ...
>
>   Be warned that Java may be unbearably slow on that system.  (Given
> that it's irritatingly slow on much newer systems.)

By what measurement do you determine that Java is slow, and compared
to what?  Is it slower for developement, or just running it?  Is it
slow compared to C, or Lisp, or Visual Basic?  Are you doing systems
programming with it or distributed systems application development?

To say X is slow is not only misleading, but actually a useless and
baseless charge without any context or reference.

--
Seeya,
Paul