Linux on old laptop - still trying...

Tech Writer TechWtr at handspun.com
Mon Jun 5 21:07:00 EDT 2006

I'm getting further with the Ubuntu CD boot onto my old Gateway 2000, but still not quite there...  Quick status for those of you who have provided feedback so far...

When the Ubuntu CD is booted up, there are five choices:
  Start or install Ubuntu
  Start Ubuntu in safe graphics mode
  Check CD for defects
  Memory test
  Boot from first hard disk

While the "Start or install Ubuntu" is highlighted, I can press "F5 Accessibility", to see the boot options listed as follows:

  Boot Options ._size=1048576 root=/dev/ram rw quiet splash --

I edited this to add acpi=off, and removed "quiet" (not sure what "splash" is).  The result is:

  Boot Options ._size=1048576 root=/dev/ram acpi=off rw splash --

I get further now...  I see a clean window with the ubuntu banner, and a status bar, followed by these messages:

Running ./scripts/init-premount                 OK
Mounting root file system...
Running ./scripts/casper-premount            OK
Running ./scripts/casper-bottom
Moving mount points...                             OK
Adding live CD user

Then, the system seems to just start spinning the disk (lights for both CD and hard drive continue to randomly flash).  This continues for a while, then the clean display disappears, and I get rough text spitting out boot messages, the last few being...

Begin: Loading essential drivers...
Done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-premount ...
Done.
Begin:  Mounting root file system...  ...

At this point, I just hear a lot of disk spinning for MANY  MANY minutes... then the screen clears, and still more disk spinning... but nothing appears to be happening...  eventually, it all just stops.   Fortunately, this is going on to the side of me, while I'm getting more productive work done elsewhere... otherwise, instead of being an interesting learning experience, this would pretty frustrating.  I'm going to try a couple more things, and then probably move on to another flavor.  I gave DSL a quick try, and it booted from the CD okay.  But, it's pretty rough, so I want to see if I can get something with more bang, if possible.

Peg