Linux on old laptop - still trying...

Stephen Ryan stephen.p.ryan at dartmouth.edu
Mon Jun 5 21:34:00 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 21:06 -0400, Tech Writer wrote:

> At this point, I just hear a lot of disk spinning for MANY  MANY
> minutes... then the screen clears, and still more disk spinning... but
> nothing appears to be happening...  eventually, it all just stops.

I just installed Ubuntu (on a much larger system) and I saw something
that suggested a minimum of 192Mb to install.  I doubt you really want
Ubuntu on a system with that little RAM; it might work if you install
the "server" variant, which installs a relatively minimal system, but I
suspect that DSL or one of the other small Linux systems would be a
whole lot better.

HTH,

--
Stephen Ryan <stephen.p.ryan at dartmouth.edu>