OpenOffice and JVM, was Java Speed

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Wed Jun 7 10:46:01 EDT 2006

On Jun 7, 2006, at 8:52 AM, Tom Buskey wrote:

> I think Fedora (and OpenOffice) used GCJ to compile alot of the
> java apps associated with it.  They got a big speedup and
> eliminated the need for a JVM for those apps.

On recent installs of OpenOffice, some members of another forum I
hang out on complained about startup speed. It turns out that Base
(the database/Access twin) needs the Java Runtime Engine. Tools |
Options | Java lets you turn off the option to start the JRE at
startup. In my highly non-scientific, non-reproducible, anecdotal but
well-meaning tests, startup could be reduced from 22 seconds to 4
seconds in this manner. Just a tip for those willing to muck with it.

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com