LinuxWorld BOS no more

Jon maddog Hall maddog at li.org
Thu Jun 22 10:16:02 EDT 2006

Bill,

I think that for the market that Linuxworld serves, IDG is taking the right
direction.

Linux (and for that matter, FOSS) is moving into "mainstream".  After all, if
all software was FOSS, then "Linuxworld" would become "Comdex".  When something
becomes mainstream, one major trade show per year is enough.

People go to Linuxworld to see what is happening in the Linux space.  It
attracts, to a large extent, the choir.  For several years I tried to get
vendors to go to Comdex, and they did not like that because "people just
kicked the tires".  On the other hand, when we had the last Linux Business
Expo, 38,000 Comdex people at least re-registered to come into the co-located,
but separate, event.

Just as I have advocated that "FOSS" should go to conferences frequented by
educational people, perhaps FOSS should also go to "Health conferences",
"Retail Conferences", etc.

I think by hitting targeted vertical markets in a more local environment may
get those people who would not normally look at Linux to at least see how it
would fit in their environment.  While Boston would be a good place to have
it for many reasons, NYC is a better "sell" for a first attempt.  Once the
vertical customers have seen FOSS in action, they can go to Linuxworld to
find out more.

It is a shame that Linuxworld USA will still be only in San Francisco, but
that is what we get for trying to make a software living in the Northeast
USA instead of flocking to Silicon Valley like a bunch of lemmings.

>No more scooping up O'Reilly books by the shelfload...    :(

Sure you can.  It is just that you have to go to SF to do it....and watch those
excess baggage charges on the trip back...oh, I forgot you fly your own
airplane. :-)

maddog