Friday afternoon hardware questions

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Mon Jun 26 12:01:21 EDT 2006

Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On Jun 26, 2006, at 08:46, Tom Buskey wrote:
>
>> SuperMicro has a 5 shelf module for SATA that lets you hot swap the disks
>> w/o touching the cables.  You might be able to swap the module too.
>> It fit
>> into a tower nicely.
>
> Neat.  Does it use a multilink cable or a fistfull of SATA cables on the
> back?

I picked up one of those recently; I'm hoping to get around to
installing it soon. It uses a fistful of cables, and I assume it
will hook up to pretty much any SATA raid card.

Speaking of which, what's the best SATA raid card these days? I'd
be using this under CentOS. Does anyone make a raid card for 5 SATA
drives, or am I stuck using just 4 drives in the unit?

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9