SATA cards? RAID/Non RAID

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 17:41:02 EDT 2006

On 6/26/06, Tom Buskey <tom at buskey.name> wrote:
> I worked as a QA temp at RaidCore as they got bought by BroadCom.

  Ahhh, so it wasn't *originally* made by BroadCom.  That's good news,
in my book.  ;-)

> ... http://www.raidcore.com ...

  That redirects to a "Page not found" page at Broadcom.  *sigh*

> It's not true hardware raid but it works very well.

  Oh.  I was under the impression they had ASICs on the board to do
the RAID stuff.  Hmmm... the Broadcom website makes no mention of
that, and I'm sure they would if they did.  I guess I'm thinking of
someone else... :-/

> One *very* cool thing was transforming from one RAID level to another on the
> fly.  ex: Add a 3rd drive and transform from RAID 1 to RAID 5.

  FYI, many other RAID cards do that, too, including at least some of
the old Adaptec cards, and the MegaRAID line from LSI.  Probably not
so common in the low-end "host-based RAID" stuff (i.e., software RAID
tied to a particular card).

-- Ben