asset management tools?

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Wed Mar 1 21:27:00 EST 2006

Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> writes:

> Two I've heard good things about but haven't yet deployed myself are:
>
> IRM (domain specific):
>    http://sourceforge.net/projects/irm

I looked at IRM a while back.  It seemed to be similar to RT, but from
a different angle.  Where RT approaches trouble-tracking from a
"people" perspective, IRM approaches things from a "system"
perspective. Every "ticket" is attached to a specific machine in the
database.

Ideally, what is mneeded is a merging of these two systems.  We need a
general trouble ticket system where random reqeuests can be initiated,
assigned, and resolved, but can also be attached to "systems" when
appropriate.  RT has no means of searching for all tickets related to
hostA.  Yet, (from what I recall) IRM has no means of dealing with a
request for "fixing my phone".

IRM looked like quite a good piece of software, though. It just didn't
meet for my needs at the time I looked at it, about a year or so
ago, and we're pretty tied to RT after 5 years :(
--

Seeya,
Paul