METROCAST BLOCKS RESIDENTIAL E-MAIL

aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 7 15:37:02 EST 2006

         ---====================================---
             METROCAST BLOCKS RESIDENTIAL E-MAIL
         ---====================================---

I just got off the phone with Steve Bradley of Metrocast's
(http://www.metrocastcablevision.com/) technical support.

Metrocast, last week, started filtering packets sent by their
customers to port 25 on ALL Internet hosts.  Yes, you read that right:
Metrocast is filtering ALL port 25 packets OUTBOUND from their
residential customers.

Despite Mr. Bradley's assurances that this is an effort to reduce spam
and protect me (yeah right), what it really does is block legitimate
e-mail.  As e-mail is an integral part of having Internet service,
this seems like an insane and completely, well, stupid thing to do.

As a result, I'm forming a working group to organize Metrocast
customers in a boycott of this now crippled Internet service.  Current
plans include:

 (1) To issue press releases to local media explaining Metrocast's
     technical incompetence.

 (2) Organize a boycott of Metrocast broadband Internet access.  I
     know several members on this list subscribe to Metrocast
     broadband Internet.  I'm sure Verizon would be happy to help our
     group switch over to DSL.

 (3) Consult attorneys in the areas of civil liberties and contract
     law to determine:

     (A) If censoring e-mail constitutes curtailment of free speech.

     (B) If unilaterally making the change to restrict e-mail
	 constitutes violation of contract law.

 (4) Starting a phone and letter campaign to call and write
     Metrocast's customer service, technical support, and management
     to voice our disappointment at this change.  It really is an
     insult to paying customers, and *everyone* at Metrocast deserves
     to know about it!

If you have an interest in organizing to fight Metrocast's policy and

   T A K E    B A C K     P O R T   2 5  ! !

Call me, or e-mail me off-list:

Phone# 1-360-488-0840
FWD#   539419
E-mail aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net

Next thing you know, they'll be blocking port 80 and forcing us to use
a SOCKS 5 proxy!  But... TOGETHER, WE CAN TAKE BACK PORT 25!!