METROCAST BLOCKS RESIDENTIAL E-MAIL

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 18:05:00 EST 2006

On 3/7/06, John Abreau <jabr at blu.org> wrote:
> That same logic could apply to *ALL* email, everywhere. Most email,
> everywhere, is spam, and by that logic, *ALL* email should be completely
> shut down.

  In a word, no.

  Like everything else in business, this boils down to return on
investment.  ROI.

  Spam eats up huge amounts of money.  Server resources.  Network
resources.  Help desk.  Abuse desk.  Customer unhappiness.  Etc.  Etc.

  Some operators find they can cut a significantly large volume of
those costs by blocking outbound TCP port 25, while at the same time
incurring a fairly low cost (that cost including irate customers, lost
customers, help desk, etc.).  The ROI is there.

  The ROI of completely shutting down email is not there.

  I realize this is an unpleasant reality.  I don't like it either.
But what I like very rarely enters into the discussion, I've found.
:-/

-- Ben