METROCAST BLOCKS RESIDENTIAL E-MAIL

Fred puissante at lrc.puissante.com
Sat Mar 11 06:18:00 EST 2006

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 16:43, Ed Lawson wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 16:20:40 -0500
>
> "Brian" <gnhlug at karas.net> wrote:
> > Sending an email through your own/alternate server should not
>
> be prevented.
>
> I understand your sentiment, but should has nothing to do with
> it.  Should is not a
> factor. There is an agreement which specifies the service to
> which you are entitled upon payment for that service. You are
> entitled to nothing more and nothing less.

I send my mail out to my dedicated servers all the time over encrypted
connections. SMTP has TLS and SSL options, and one of them goes across a
port other than 25.

I think it's a *bad idea* to send your email out across your ISP's SMTP
servers, because you never know what they are doing with it. Plus, with the
Homeland Insecurity pushing for more surveillance of us civilians, including
pushing ISPs to archive all outgoing traffic for a month, you just can't
trust your ISP to protect your privacy.

Everything I do besides browsing the web goes across encrypted channels. And
I could tunnel that much across an encrypted connection too, hiding even
that activity from an ISP, but I don't see that much value in hiding it,
even though I should.

-Fred