Passwords: does size matter, what characters?

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Mon Mar 13 09:41:01 EST 2006

On 3/10/06, Jason Stephenson <jason at sigio.com> wrote:

> Drew Van Zandt wrote:
>
> > Also... what drives me crazy is that requirements conflict on websites
> > where security isn't important anyway, so I can't use the same
> > password for all the ones that don't really matter.  PASSWORDS ARE
> > NEVER GOING TO BE THAT STRONG, get over it and use real authentication
> > (2-factor) if it's that important.
>
> Ah, yes, two-factor authentication based on something you can forget and
> something you can lose. ;)
>
> Seriously, though, I believe that passwords are great for letting people
> in and lousy at keeping people out.
>
> I *think* I mostly agree with Drew, though. I actually do use the same
> or very similar passwords on many different web sites where the security
> doesn't really matter.
>
> When I need a "good" password, I run my little pgen program that spits
> out line noise (or the equivalent). I write it down, and after I've used
> it a couple of times, my fingers remember it.

I've had good luck with using Strip from Zetic to store passwords on my
Palm.  It encrypts the password database, you can carry it with you if you
have a Palm and you can run it within an emulator on Linux or Windows or
MacOS if you break your Palm.

I have a script that starts the emulator using the most recent sync'd strip
DB.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad
measures.
  - Daniel Webster