Acceptance of OpenOffice.org (was Re: Gov't , economics and technology (was Re: METROCAST BLOCKS RESIDENTIAL E-MAIL))

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Mon Mar 13 14:50:00 EST 2006

Jerry Feldman wrote:

>There is a lot to be said for training elementary, middle and high
>school kids to use some of the many tools that they have available, and I'm
>not adverse to training them on how to use MS Office. But, when they call a
>class "computer science" they should teach computer science, not how to use
>a tool.

I was talking to someone (a middle-school teacher) at a party over the
holidays who mentioned his school's "computer science" class. I was
curious what programming languages they taught. He assured me that they
didn't allow hacking at all. After a short discussion, I discovered he
apparently did not know that computer software was written by people
using programming languages. (I didn't try to find out where he thought
it came from.) So, their "computer science" class doesn't teach, nor
allow, programming at all. I just went to get another drink; it wasn't
worth the effort to explain otherwise.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951