METROCAST BLOCKS RESIDENTIAL E-MAIL

aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 13 18:16:00 EST 2006

   From: "Brian" <gnhlug at karas.net>
   Subject: RE: METROCAST BLOCKS RESIDENTIAL E-MAIL
   Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 16:20:40 -0500

   I think there is a reason the OP put OUTBOUND in all caps.  This isn't about
   running your own SMTP server at home, it's about using a non-Metrocast SMTP
   server to SEND mail to others.

Exactly.  *My* MTA doesn't allow connections from non-local hosts.
But in certainly expects email to be available on port 25 on the
Internet....  And, since RFC 822 was one of the earliest Internet
standards, people have kinda grown to depend on it...

If someone I correspond with wants to MX all their incoming mail
through their ISP's mail server, that's their choice and their right.
But I shouldn't be forced, by *my* ISP, to add an extra server hop to
*every* email message I send.

   In the last 10 years I've been actively using an internet connection, I've
   *never* used my ISP's mail servers.  I've always had my own domain(s) hosted
   somewhere, and sent emails through my own servers.

Given what Metroca$t has done, your setup would not work from my
location.  You'd have to configure your MX on a non-standard port,
because the traffic between my feed and the MX (even if you own it!)
would be squelched by my I$P.

   Sending an email through your own/alternate server should not be prevented.

I have to say Amen! to that... But I have to take it one step further:

Sending an email through your own/alternate server should not be
prevented, *just because your ISP does not consider you a business*.

Implicit in their restriction of outbound traffic is the insinuation
that residential customers do not deserve real, uncensored, access to
the Internet.  Since the filtering of port 25 does not exist on
so-called "business" accounts, this policy further implies that only
businesses are entitled to unrestricted *Internet* access.