Intel NICs, Cisco, autoneg, and borken-ness

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Mon Mar 13 19:47:00 EST 2006

klussier at comcast.net writes:

>  -------------- Original message ---------------------- From: Paul
> Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net>
>> klussier at comcast.net writes:
>>
>> > Can you try more then just ping? Try tracerouting to another
>> > network to see where the traffic stops, or where it tries to go.
>>  If ping doesn't work, neither will traceroute, since the latter is
>> built using TTL tricks of the former.  Since I can't even ping the
>> gateway of the subnet I'm *on*, trying to get *off* net isn't going
>> to work either.
>
> I know that traceroute will fail, but it would at least tell you if
> the traffic was leaving your box. I see a lot of cases where people
> tell me "The server is down, I can't even ping it" when the server
> that they are pinging is fine. It is usually a bad route on their
> system, or on the server (sending the responses to the wrong place).
> I also see people sending traffic out the wrong interface (which ping
> would tell you).

Ahh, I see where you're coming from.  I was testing this system from
the actual console of the system.  I had 6 other systems on this
"subnet", all of which could ping each other fine.  This one system
was the anomaly, which meant it was going to be something particular
to this system, not something they all had in common, i.e. the router.

All systems were connected to the same blade of the switch as well.
Of course, I've certainly seen individual ports mis-configured, but
again, that would still have been something more or less specific to
that host.  I was really betting on an autoneg incompatibility :)

>> > Try using lynx to open a web page.
>>  To what?  I can't even get off the network I'm on?
>
> You can't ping. If something was stopping ICMP, then http is always a
> decent fall back.

Agreed, but only if I have something to connect to.  Since the switch
couldn't even ping the server IP I was having problems with, this
wouldn't have worked either...

>> > Sometimes someone does something dumb

Oh sure!  Now you're insulting me?  Are you saying I'm dumb?!  Well fine!
Just let the entire world know why don't you! 8-P  ;)

> Glad to hear it. If you need anymore useless ideas, let us know :-)

No Problem.  This list is the first place I turn when I need one or
more of those ;)
--

Seeya,
Paul