Acceptance of OpenOffice.org (was Re: Gov't , economics and technology (was Re: METROCAST BLOCKS RESIDENTIAL E-MAIL))

Drew Van Zandt drew.vanzandt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 10:06:02 EST 2006

I think the first language should be a bondage-and-discipline type
like Pascal or (even better!) Modula-2.  Second C, third and
absolutely essential (in my mind) is an assembly language.  I think
programmers who understand how the machine works underneath (and have
been forced to think like one at the lowest level) are better
programmers in all their languages.

Every time I hear a CS type say something like "the machine shouldn't
affect your programming, these are abstract concepts" I want to bury
them neck-deep in devices with embedded systems in them.

--DTVZ