Acceptance of OpenOffice.org

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Thu Mar 16 09:09:01 EST 2006

kclark at mtghouse.com (Kevin D. Clark) writes:

> I'm a Perl nut, so you may want to take this with a grain of salt, but
> I believe that Perl is becoming the language of choice for
> Astronomers, Geographers, Genome????ers,

Becoming?  I would say 'is'.

Perl has been embedded in the astronomy and genome area for at least
10 years.  Lincoln Stein, who wrote CGI.pm is (I believe) a molecular
biologist by training, but is more well known for his contributions to
Perl than his biology (of course, it's possible other biologists know
him better for his non-Perl related research I suppose ;)

Reading Perl Journal over the years, I've read lots of reports of
using Perl in all these places too.  So, I would say, as a complete
outsider to all of these groups, that Perl is well entrenched, and
Python is possibly catching on.

What I find most interesting is that Perl and Python were both started
at roughly the same time in the late 1980s.  So why is Python just
*now* becoming popular?

--

Seeya,
Paul