Comcast and mail header errors?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 21:53:01 EST 2006

On 3/20/06, Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:
> Anyone seen the following type of header coming though Comcast's servers?

  Hmmm.  Well, yes, grep tells me that I am.  Quite a bit, apparently.
 Never noticed.  Never looked, either.  :)

> The hostname and ip's have been changed.

  Understandable, but that does make it more difficult to analyze the problem.

> I'm fairly certain that this is NOT a misconfigured sender ...

  Well, that all depends on what Comcast's definition of
"misconfigured sender" is.  For all we know, their idea of a
misconfigured sender is anyone with the name "Paul".  :)

  Hmmm, wait, nope, your mail doesn't show that way in my Comcast
mailbox.  So it's not that.  :)

  As a wild guess, I'd say Comcast is throwing that in when the name
given in the HELO does not resolve to the IP address of the
sender-SMTP.

> I'd love an explanation as to why Comcast thinks the senders are
> misconfigured...

  Comcast su... err, nevermind.

  Seriously, is there a reason you care, beyond "if something's broken
it should be fixed"?

-- Ben