Comcast and mail header errors?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Thu Mar 23 07:45:01 EST 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 06:41:52AM -0500, Cole Tuininga wrote:
> The problem is that the application has no control which interface it
> uses when opening a socket to a remote system.  This is a function of
> the network stack within the kernel - not a system call.  Hence, this is
> not something that can be controlled at the application level.

I don't know much about networking, nor much about the topic being
discussed here, but I'm almost positive this is wrong. Postfix has a
configuration option -- smtp_bind_address -- that is designed to solve
exactly this problem, as I understand it.

That doesn't help the sendmail users, of course, but smtp_bind_address
is "An optional numerical network address that the SMTP client should
bind to when making an IPv4 connection."

So, it's possible in Postfix. It seems like. Unless I'm confused.

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer