Recommendations for C++ sourcecode analysis tools

Kevin D. Clark kclark at mtghouse.com
Thu Mar 23 09:53:01 EST 2006

Jerry Feldman writes:

> I agree that Valgrind is an excellent tool. However Rational's (IBM's)
> Purify Plus puts it to shame for a mere $10,000.

I've found bugs with Valgrind that Purify never found.

I've found bugs with Purify that Valgrind never found.

For serious development, I'd make sure I had both.  I'd also evaluate
Purify on my desired development platform too -- when I last evaluated
Purify on Linux it was barely usable.  Valgrind just worked on Linux.
Purify on Solaris just worked too, so I used it there.

Regards,

--kevin
--
GnuPG ID: B280F24E                     And the madness of the crowd
alumni.unh.edu!kdc                     Is an epileptic fit