Fedora ftp install without a name server?

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Thu Mar 23 19:40:01 EST 2006

John Abreau wrote:

> I seem to recall a lot of early ftp client software didn't support the
> server-to-server capability, particularly on MacOS and PC platforms.

I'm pretty sure that the ftp client that comes with Windows 2000 doesn't
support it. I tried ftping some stuff through my firewall recently and
no luck. It also complained about an unrecognized command when I tried
to go to PASV.

IE also seems to do all FTP in the normal way, thus it not working
through my firewall/NAT.

I supposedly configured the FTP proxy on my firewall, but I'm not sure
why it isn't working. Perhaps, an upgrade or a switch to a different
firewall software is in order. I seem to recall FTP proxy working
properly when I used ipfw.

Sorry, I didn't add much to help the OP. I've never tried a Fedora FTP
install. I've done it with Slackware, OpenBSD and FreeBSD. They all
worked just fine. I believe I had to tell one of them to use passive
mode, but I forget which.

Since you're having trouble burning coasters, maybe someone could burn
you an image?

Cheers,
Jason