People still interested in shared colo?

Neil Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Tue Mar 28 13:01:01 EST 2006

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 12:50 pm, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> What are folks using for serial consoles these days?  I have an old
> Xyplex box but it only supports telnet. :)
>
> You'd think a basic linux box with a multiport serial card would
> suffice.  But building a whole PC for a serial console seems like
> overkill (but maybe not economically).

At our company, we have two Digis (a Digi CM32 and a Digi CM48) that we use
for remote serial consoles on our servers/switches/etc.  It's little more
than a small embedded linux server with a bunch of serial ports (32 and 48 in
our case) and upgradeability like a PCMCIA slot for a modem or dual power
supplies in some of the CM48s.

Mind you, I have no idea how economical they are, according to your standards.
They certainly are a good package though and I imagine any other enterprise
boxed solution will cost comparably to them.  I would expect building your
own version would be less expensive though, yes, but you'd lose a good deal
of it's features.  If you're in the area anytime, I'd be happy to demo them
for you.
-N