Co-op co-lo server?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue Mar 28 13:32:00 EST 2006

On Mar 28, 2006, at 13:11, Ben Scott wrote:

> Something I could
> host my personal email on, maybe a vanity website, some other website
> ideas I've had, plus a place to SSH to for utility purposes.  Sort of
> a $HOME away from home, if you will.

You might also be interested in a VPS instead of running a coop (the
somebody-else-runs-the-coop model)

Lloyd swears by Tummy:

   http://www.tummy.com/Hosting/virtual.html

though they're $25 a month for a 50MB of RAM package which might get
tricky under RH/Fedora (how do they do that?)

I'm paying $49 a month for my server but that ISP now charges $99/mo
for the same class machine for new accounts.  I'm seeing the same thing
with SSL Certs - I used to get InstantSSL certs for $49 now they're
$99.  DynDNS is even charging more than Thawte!

The pendulum certainly seems to be swinging back to the DYI-is-cheaper
side.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/