People still interested in shared colo?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue Mar 28 20:22:00 EST 2006

On Mar 28, 2006, at 15:31, Drew Van Zandt wrote:

> Also, you can run a Pentium M on mini-ITX boards these days, at least.
>  That's not *too* weak a processor.

I have an embedded 1.7(8?) GHz Pentium-M-based appliance I'm working on
and it's really nice.  Cool, quiet, quick.  On the other hand the board
at that link is an 800MHz Via C3.  I have one of those as my Asterisk
server, and it's, well, it's an i686 missing a few instructions so you
have to compile as i586 for everything which isn't automatically
detected.  The performance is fine for what it is, probably like a
500MHz P3.

Still, that box might suck for performance, but if you had a mission
critical app (thinking physical security, monitoring a nuclear power
plant, etc.) it would be great to have a cookie-cutter box with a
heartbeat between mobos with a linux-HA thing and maybe Oracle's new
clusterfs on it.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/