Net Neutrality. What good is a free operating system without a network?

Python python at venix.com
Wed May 10 12:59:00 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 11:13 -0400, Ben Scott wrote:
>   Since we're on this subject, and I believe it is relevant to all of
> us: I've seen tons of rhetoric around this issue, but very little hard
> fact.  Is there any *real* information out there?  The
> www.savetheinternet.com site contains nothing but sensationalist
> propaganda.  (The fact that I happen to sympathize with the
> sensationalist propaganda doesn't change what it is.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peering

The economics behind getting bits to travel across the Internet is
somewhat murky.  We pay our ISP (say MV) to handle our bits.  MV in turn
pays someone else (PAETEK?) to handle the non-local bits that need to
traverse the "Internet".  At some point ISP's simply trade bits (peer)
without charging each other.  So UUNET and LEVEL3 (I think) simply
exchange bits without exchanging any money.

As I understand it, the big telco's are looking to leverage their
dominance to end or at least modify peering arrangements.  They want to
force other ISPs to pay for bit delivery.

I think the savetheinternet.com site fails to suggest a rational way to
structure peering.  The current structure may be inadequate.  The Telco
bill in congress is heading the wrong way.  I am not sure of the "right
way".

http://renesys.com/ is a NH firm that monitors the net.  Someone there
might have some insight.

--