Net Neutrality. What good is a free operating system without a network?

Greg Rundlett greg.rundlett at gmail.com
Thu May 11 07:55:01 EDT 2006

On 5/10/06, Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

> > The Telco bill in congress is heading the wrong way.
>
>   Anyone got links to actual legislation, existing FCC/FTC rules,
> bills, proposed bills, etc?

S 2360: Internet Non-Discrimination Act of 2006
http://www.freepress.net/congress/billinfo.php?id=168

Here is how senators are voting
http://www.savetheinternet.com/=tally

There is another informative site http://www.freepress.net/netfreedom/
which lists Ben Scott as a 'Leading Voice' in the issue
<-- /me heckles Ben
(See the box in the lower right corner 'Other Resources')

Earlier you positted that people shoud pay more when they use more.  That
*is* the system in use today.  I pay 50% less for a dial-up connection than
I do for a broadband connection.  I pay still more (10x) for a T1
connection.

Quoting (http://www.freepress.net/deadend/=netfears)
Networks have traditionally earned all their revenues through connections.
Consumers pay $50 a month for a DSL line in exchange for access to
everything on the Internet at the same speed and without impairment. Now the
telephone and cable companies are getting greedy. They still want the $50
access charge. But they also want a cut every time you search on Google, buy
something at Amazon, or make a phone call using Skype. It's guaranteed that
consumers will pay the price in the end.

I'm still looking for the information on what the telcos are specifically
requesting, but it comes down to payment by senders in addition to payment
by consumers.