Hard drive troubleshooting

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu May 11 08:45:01 EDT 2006

This has been coming up on my home server.  I've been reformatting the drive
and that allows it to move the bad sector out of the way (I think).

My system has a RAID 1 for the OS and a RAID 1 w/ LVM for the data.

So /dev/hdc reports errors & /dev/hda is ok.  I fail /dev/hdc, "remove" it
from the array and then add it again.  It rebuilds the partitions, etc.  No
downtime.  The drives are fairly new so I'm comfortable with this.  If I'm
wrong & the error persists, it's on RAID.

On 5/10/06, Ted Roche <TEDROCHE at comcast.net> wrote:

> In /var/log/messages, smartd is reporting:
>
> Device: /de/hdb, 3 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
>
> I'm trying to figure out where they are and how to fix them or mark
> them as bad.
>
> Took the machine down last night and ran SpinRite 6 on it. It
> reported no problems on the drive.
>
> Ran the smartctl tests, both short and long, and they finished
> without errors.
>
> There's a great HOWTO on fixing bad blocks at http://
> smartmontools.sourceforge.net/badBlockHowTo.txt, but I don't seem to
> have any bad blocks to fix.
>
> Ideas on what else I can do to find/fix the errors?
>
> I'm downloaded the Western Digital diagnostics now and will see if
> that gets me anywhere... nope. Long and short tests all report no error.
>
> Would be glad to post the full smartctl diagnostics if anyone would
> like to read them.
>
> Since all the tests pass, I wondered if something else could be the
> source of the problems, like a driver, but SMART should be bypassing
> OS drivers and speaking to the hardware, I think.
>
> The drive shows Power-On hours over 33,000, so I'll plan on a
> replacement in any case, but I'm curious how to troubleshoot from
> here. Ideas welcomed.
>

> Ted Roche
> Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
> http://www.tedroche.com

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad
measures.
  - Daniel Webster