Net Neutrality. What good is a free operating system without a network?

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu May 11 09:01:08 EDT 2006

On 5/10/06, Python <python at venix.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 12:58 -0400, Python wrote:
> > http://renesys.com/ is a NH firm that monitors the net.  Someone there
> > might have some insight.
> >
> I poked around Todd Underwood's blog a little bit.  He does not address
> net neutrality.
>
> http://www.renesys.com/blog/2006/03/a_tale_of_four_carriers_att_ve.shtml
>
> This is about Internet mergers.  Now I know where BBN disappeared.

BBN is still around and they're independent again.

GTE buys BBN.

Bell Atlantic aquires GTE -> Verizon.  They want to keep the internet
business free of telecom regulations so they spin the former BBNplanet stuff
into Genuity.  They keep BBN labs.

Genuity is managed so Verizon can decide to merge it back IFF it does the
right stuff in all the states they offer service in within 3 years.

Verizon does the right stuff.  Genuity has put up lots of debt.  Verizon can
lease dark fiber at 1/10 the cost of reaquiring Genuity.

Genuity defaults on loans now that thier master plan failed.  Layoffs &
bankrupcy follows,  Level 3 buys Genuity (4.x.x.x and 3 backbones).  Sells
the web hosting to CSC.

Meanwhile, BBN Labs is less entangled w/ Verizon then Genuity was.  Verizon
doesn't want to be under DOD contracting scruitiny for their accounting so
they keep BBN seperate for the most part.

Eventually BBN gets spun off into its own seperate company.

I was at Genuity when Verizon said "Why do we want to re-aquire you??".
It's interesting that management didn't see it coming because the rest of us
did.

--
> Lloyd Kvam
> Venix Corp

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad
measures.
  - Daniel Webster