Makefile question with no answer?

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Mon May 15 13:36:01 EDT 2006

I suspect that there is no answer to what I'm looking for, but if the
answer exists I'll probably get it here.

I have a Makefile of normal industrial complexity. It builds a huge
variety of different things, .o's, executables, libs, .PHONYs, etc..

It sincludes a collection of other files.

I want to add a line in one place that will cause *all* targets to have a
new dependency added to it.

make all or here or there or clean or whatever, I want any make to all of
a sudden check for newthing as a required target but I want to do it by
adding a one-liner someplace.

Anyone?

steveo at syslang.net