[OT] The Internet (that Ben says does not exist) and Net Neutrality

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Sun May 21 16:31:00 EDT 2006

On 5/21/06, Ted Roche <tedroche at tedroche.com> wrote:
> Isn't it time to recognize that a company selling "internet access"
> ought to be offering some standardized service, or at least some
> baseline ...

  I point you to previous postings about unintended consequences and
such.  I also ask, what should this "standard" be, and who should set
it?

> Are or should internet providers be "common carriers?"

  My understanding is that, currently, there is no widespread
consideration of most ISPs as common carriers.

  I do think that most ISPs should have common carrier status, with
all the rights and obligations that entails.

  However, I also point out that common carriers still generally have
the right to charge whatever they want for the services they provide,
so the common carrier thing is mostly a red herring.

> Can thedecision be "left to the marketplace" when cable companies get
> exclusive monopolies on service ...

  I again reiterate my position that if there is a lack of competition
due to an artificially granted monopoly, the solution is to get rid of
the monopoly, and not try to work with something which is inherently
broken.

-- Ben