amanda tape autoloaders

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Wed May 24 22:01:02 EDT 2006

Gina L Ross <glr at cs.unh.edu> writes:

> Folks:
>
> Does anyone have any comments on support by Amanda under
> Fedora Core linux for these LTO-2 auto loaders?
>
>     IBM 3581 Part Number 3581L28
>     Exabyte 110L Part Number 270018-417
>     Dell 124T LTO-2L

My first recommendations:

 1. Check the amanda web site for support for these loaders.
 2. Google these loader model numbers along with the string 'amanda'.
 3. Ask on the amanda-users list 4. Stay away from anything labelled
   'DELL' (this goes for just about everything, not just tape loaders).

I've had very good luck in the past with HP SureStore drives and
loaders.  As far as I can tell, all RA-style drives (RA, xDLTy, LTO-X,
etc.) are made by Quantum, who bought the tape division of DEC
years ago where streaming tape media was invented.

I recommend *AGAINST* Overland Storage products.  I bought a 17-tape
library autoloader from them 2.5 years ago and I just RMA'ed it for
the *3rd* time (yes, I'm on my 4th unit from them!) (they have great
support though :^/ )

hth,
--
Seeya,