Recycled computers

Dave Johnson dave-gnhlug at davej.org
Tue May 30 08:51:00 EDT 2006

Ted Roche writes:
> Branching the One Laptop thread...
>
> On May 27, 2006, at 10:27 PM, David Ecklein wrote:
>
> > I don't understand this fixation on laptops.  These are commodities
> > for the
> > I would rather see an effort mounted to refurbish the many usable
> > desktops
> > that are going to the dump every day.
>
> LUG members have done this. A group of MonadLUG members lead by Tim
> Lind worked on this for a while last year. Tim's apparently succeeded
> in getting a couple refurbished machines into local libraries and
> elder care facilities. However, there's a lot of resistance to these
> contributions: concern over support, toxic waste disposal, security,
> etc.
>
> For recycling, there are some good options:
>
> http://www.des.state.nh.us/swtas/recycle_electronics.htm
> http://www.des.state.nh.us/swtas/comp_recyclers.htm

Most electronics recycling companies already have re-use deals in
place for working components and will then go after the materials on
whatever is left over (broken or obsolete).

I brought a car-load of old stuff (some working some broken) to this
place about a year ago because they would take everything I had for
_FREE_ as long as I transported it to them (they charge for pickup).

http://www.recyclingelectronics.com/

They have a reasonable amount of info on their website about what they
will accept.

It was quite a drive (they are in Brockton, MA) but well worth it to
avoid the hassles and fees for CRTs and other electronics from my
local town or just about any other company I found.

--
Dave