OLPC ($100 "laptop") FAQ

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Tue May 30 18:22:00 EDT 2006

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 05:13:52PM -0400, Randy Edwards wrote:
>  > But, if you'll allow me to be selfish for a moment, one thing I like about
>  > the OLPC project is how much can be done with it in countries the the USA.
>
>    I agree.  Myself, I think the project's real potential is in "first"
> and "second" world countries.
>
>    Frankly, as Ben stated, I think it's pretty naive to think that laptop
> wouldn't be used primarily as a source of light in that Cambodian
> household

They are hoping it will be.
Thats one of the reasons its less likely to be sold for cash.... :)

-- or more likely just sold for cash.

This is certainly an issue, there is a lot of discussion on it in the
wikki.

>    But somewhere like Mexico or some "second world" country that laptop could
> achieve its intended purpose.
>
>    And here in the US, the OLPC might -- hey, I said "might"! -- work to
> establish an affordable, de facto EdTech standard and break schools out of
> the marketing-driven/gee-whiz/gadget-minded mode that they've been in
> forever.

No chance of that I'm afraid.  Public school IT is driven by the
need/desire/bureaucratic pressure to go for the most expensive choices
rather than the most effective..........

Speech Recognition Technology was used to create this e-mail