OLPC - "eaten my homework"

David Ecklein dave at diacad.com
Wed May 31 18:32:00 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Kinz" <jkinz at kinz.org>
To: <gnhlug-discuss at mail.gnhlug.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 4:30 PM
Subject: Re: OLPC - "eaten my homework"

> On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 03:42:35PM -0400, David Ecklein wrote:
> > Has the need for expensive "rugged" textbooks been taken for granted?
> > Remember, we are discussing education in developing countries.
> >
> > In the Philippines (especially outside of Manila), it has been common
for
> > teachers to be the sole possessor of such  textbooks, aside from the
school
> > library, from which it may have been borrowed.  He or she then
reproduces
> > extracts on a mimeo and passes it out to the students as the lessons
> > dictate.  The students then have a copy of their own timely
information -
> > rather than anyone investing in "rugged" books that get outdated after
being
> > passed down just a few times to incoming students.  By the way,
everything
> > rots in the Philippines, even "rugged" US-made textbooks.
> >
> And your shorts too, I've heard. :-)

In the rainy season, and especially Aug - Sept.  I always went during a dry
season.

> > In modern Greece, a society somewhere between the developing world and
the
> > most advanced industrial countries, the use of "expensive rugged" school
> > textbooks is eschewed.  Every Greek student receives a cheaply printed
> > up-to-date book each year for each course.  These paperback books are
> > personal property of the students, and are not passed down - avoidance
of
> > multiple serial abuse plus pride of ownership are enough to keep the
book in
> > better condition.  See Alan Cromer "Connected Knowledge" (Oxford 1997).
>
> I like this idea better than the teacher being the sole owner.  I don't
> suppose many people would keep their first year reading primer very long
> but what the hey, its going to rot anyway.

The Greek system has much to commend it.  Why stick kids with antiquated
books, just because fabricating new ones is so expensive?

That there may be only one copy of a textbook is not by choice, but by the
economics of life in the Philippines.  Even used books in the Philippines
are relatively expensive.  I know, because as a bookaholic, wherever I am, I
try to seek them out.

I found that, although books can rot, they are treasured there - so some
receive extraordinary protection.  My prize from there was purchasing a
physics book (in English, the language of science in the Philippines) with
the WW2 Japanese censor's OK rubberstamped inside the front cover.  It had
lasted 40+ years, and was in good shape!

> /me shoots Dave E. for top posting...... :)

Hope this is a compliment.  Don't have much on the ball about Linux, usually
here as a lurker.